Saturday 4 August 2018

Three Posts in One - FOAN, Cold War Danish, and Star Trek Attack Wing

Well this is a bumper post to bring you up to speed on what I have been painting recently.  With my 6mm Moderns another army done and another started. Star Trek Attack Wing Gets a new piece of terrain to fight over. So on with the posts.

Fate Of A Nation 6mm Israeli's

With the purchase of the rules, I have started looking into making up some Middle East Armies on the cheap, re-purposing some of my Nato and Warsaw Pact vehicles.  With a new purchases arriving, meant that some Danish Centurions which were actually Scotia Israeli Centurions became Surplus and were available for re-allocation.  Also after a bit of routing through the boxes I found some Davco M60's and a few GHQ M113's. Giving me the following forces:

FOAN Israelis

 I can either field the Centurion 105's in two under strength companies or one full strength company. With a Mech Platoon and a Mech Mortar Section making up the core formation troops.
Scotia Models Israeli Centurions
I have had the Centurions for a few years now and did not realise at the time that they were Super Centurions with the updated engine decks.  Originally assigned to my Danish force (Ops - Some of the Danish colours are still visible) I am pleased how they came out, and it also goes to show how much detail that on the miniature.
GHQ M113's
 The Mech Infantry Platoon is a little under strength, only being 4 Sections strong. Comes in at 10 points and for another point another MAW AT stand can be added.
H&R M125's and Scotia Jeeps
Additional support is given by the Mech mortar section of two M125's, and a Sayer Platoon of four Jeeps giving that Spear head option to the list.
Davco  M60's
Additional armour support in the form of the M60's, gives the force a little bit more firepower. Soon there will be additional support from some Ground attack aircraft and 105mm Howitzers, which I have recently found hiding in a box. I also plan further reinforcements but that will be a few months off yet.  But first I need to sort some Arab forces out first.

Cold War Gone Hot - 1985'ish Danish Landjut Forces

Cold War Gone Hot to paraphrase another Blogger. My 6mm Modern forces have been brought up to speed with the near completion of my Danish Army.  When I first started out in moderns back in the early 90's, my first purchase was a box of the bring and buy stand for £10, full off vehicles painted up as Israelis. Lots of Merkava's, Centurion's, M113's, RAM recce, and Soltam Artillery.  So much that I could not only make up the Challenger 2 army list, I had enough over to make another army, which became a Danish army.  As time went by this became a full strength list with 4 Centurion Companies, 4 Leopard 1A4 Companies, 4 Mech Infantry Companies, 2 Motorised Companies and the Recon Company. In the Late 90's I sold this army off as I was short of money and have regretted it ever since.  When my interest in Moderns resurfaced I started to reassemble my Danish, which was featured in an earlier post.


This is how you last saw my Danish Forces.
Recently H&R released some new models and among them were some M41 DK and Centurion DK, which I had to have.  The re-purposing on the current Centurions to an Israeli army gave ne the excuse to but the missing companies.  I originally had planned three companies but scaled back to two.  So my Danish is 95% complete and is only awaiting a few more vehicles, but atthe moment it looks like this:



 As you can see I still got to re-base them (I've ran out, so need to buy more). I have redone the Green which looks a little bit more like pictures I have seen.  The total force consists of two Jutland Tank Companies equipped with Leopard 1A3 and two Zealand tank companies equipped with Centurion 105mm DK. Two Mechanised companies and a Motorised company give infantry support, whilst Reconnaissance is supplied by a RECCE M113 platoon and the Close RECCE Squadron equiped with M41 DK.
 The HQ Centurions are old H&R models from which have survived from my original army. THey are old Mk13's which I had snipped of the search light.  Again the HQ's are based for numerous rules.



The two Centurion DK Companies now make the army start to feel unique.
 The New H&R model of the Danish Centurion is really nice. The detail is superb as shown in the pictures above and below. The model also comes with a .50cal HMG to fit to the turret roof, but I ran out of super glue and was starting to find them too fiddly, so they went onto my parts draw.
 The two companies of Leopard 1 A3's are from H&R and allow me to form a Jutland formation.

 The three infantry companies allow me to field either an Infantry Formation or support one of the Tank formations.  M113's are a mix of H&R and Scotia.  The Motorised company is equipped with Bedford RL's and a MAN Truck with a command Land-rover. I wanted to give the Danish a feel of the mixture of vehicles that they used.
 For the Mech companies, I had originally used for the Anti-tank section M151/TOW's but later found out that they used Land-rovers mounted TOWs. As no suitable model was available I did some quick modifications and ended up with four converted land-rovers.

.
 The Close Recce Squadron equipped with H&R new M41DK further enhancing the uniqueness of the army. The Squadron is still missing its Recce Jeeps that should be in the post to me as I type. I have gone for H&R open topped Iltis, again this is to represent the different vehicles the Danes use.

 H&R M151/TOW form the Divisional Anti-Tank Platoon.
AOP/MOPS using various vehicles. The Dodge is a nod to the various Dodge's that the Danes use, along with the Land-rover and Iltis.  Further support is awaiting in the wings to be painted in the form of M109 Howitzers, Towed 155mm Guns, Air support and a section of M150/TOW.  I am really happy how this army ahs come out and really like the colour scheme which I used Reflective green with a slightly under 1/3 Yellow added.

STAR TREK ATTACK WING

STAW gets a new piece of scenery. The K7 Space station.  Now gives some of the Original series ships something to fight over.




No comments:

Post a Comment